As I watched the fabulous gym go-ers of Equinox get ready this morning in my native Soho gym, I got to thinking about post-gym (and pre-gym) beautification routines. Sometimes I feel like a field anthropologist in the locker room (any anthropologists out there please don’t be offended, I’m hardly serious or half intelligent enough to have your job!!) I find it so fascinating how people go about getting ready for their day. I have categorized people in generally two groupings, bettys and boops. This really has nothing to do with this lady:
In this case it’s a mere coincidence as I will explain shortly. But I mean come on, sometimes after you work out don’t you put on a little booty dress and a garter, curl your hair like a pin up and pucker your lips accordingly? 🙂 I kid, I kid. So let me shed some light on my categories and quantify these ridiculous terms for you.
- Betty has a gym bag is large enough to knock out two full sized men on the subway and a make up kit the size of my left thigh (i’ll leave that exact size to your imagination, but rest assured it ain’t small)
- Betty will use one of the getting ready stations from the moment she is out of the shower with her towel-turbaned head until the second she give her 17th “I think I’m done” glance before jetting off to work.
- Betty may or may not spread out all of her makeup on said station/area, and this may or may not encroach on your space
- Per aforementioned ‘spread’ you may or may not hate the Betty next to you, even if you’re a Betty yourself.
- Betty will put on so much makeup that you might think she is going to a modeling shoot, but you would be wrong, she is going to work.
- Betty will often re-apply and fix said makeup multiple times.
- Betty has a multitude of other beauty rituals, possibly including tweezing, that would make this post just way too ‘effin long.
Before I introduce BOOP, I have to explain why I chose this gem. The word “boop” comes from a word my high school friends (hi steph-ala!) and I used to aggressively overuse “bop” we used to use the word BOP for anything. It’s kind of hard to explain the usage of this word since it really ran the gambit: “Oooh you are very cute tonight, BOP!” or “That guy is SO hot! BOP!” It was relatively meaningless, quick and dirty. So now that that tangential trip down memory lane is over (surprised if you’re still reading at this point…) I introduce “BOOP“. The word is just quick and dirty. A quick “BOOP” (of makeup, the blow dryer…) and you’re ready to scoot off to the office. Anyone…? Right ok, well this is my blog so unfortunately you’re stuck with BOOP.
- Boop’s gym bag is relatively small and compact, not dangerous to subway riders. A small ‘essentials’ makeup kit lives in the bottom of the bag and may or may not see the light of day, depending on how much extra time is saved with an insanely speedy shower
- Boop takes insanely speedy showers. Shaving your legs is for home, people.
- Boop does a quick blow dry of the hair, throws it in a bun or ponytail (or possibly it straightens quickly after blow drying, I would not know of such things) and tousles it with her fingers
- Boop thinks much more than a splash of foundation mixed with lotion and under eye concealer (ok, maybe a dash of mascara if she’s feeling fahhncy)
So fess up, lovelies. Are you a BETTY or a BOOP? And more amusingly, which do you think I AM????
This weekend holds some fun eats, brunch with one of the cutest babies ever, two new dinner places (yessssss) and two boutique workouts. Have I mentioned I ❤ NYC? 🙂 Fun weekend plans on your end? Isn’t there some football game Sunday…? 🙂